Saturday, September 10, 2011

AMERICAN GRAMMAR/ACCENT VERSES OTHERS AND MINE!

For a very long time growing up, I ever adored Americans speaking in their accent and I would think and say they were speaking through their noses! I would wonder how somebody would understand what an American was saying whenever they were speaking and wondered whether at one point I would speak like Americans did/do.
When we would share a Sunday church service or other fora with some/one American(s),an interpreter would be invited to help-somebody who had had contact and conversation with Americans before,this person would be considered very smart according to my standard of rating then!Sometimes I would wonder if the interpreter was taking listeners for granted and just made some words up that he did not always grasp!

As time grew by, I grew to adore British grammar and accent which is tricky to emulate unlike American accent.By the way, I would like to imitate British accent now that I have the grammar!

Being a good English grammar student that I am, I have realized some 'loopholes' in some American grammar or accent,it tends to be a little bit 'loose' or just "fluid-like' to me and many a times I have had issues with some words' pronunciation and articulation!Over many a times I had problems writing what I could hear Americans would say/speak e.g, American would say "WORA" for "WATER","DORA" for "DAUGHTER","PITSA" for "PIZZA","RIDAS" for "RITAS", "MADIS" for "MARTYS" "PIA" for "PIER-PAYA",etc.If I would say WATER in my accent,over a hundred times, many Americans would ask,"What are/is you/he saying?" Until I would say "WORA" for one to understand!

Many a times I had people tell me,"You have a hilarious accent!" Some would say, "He has a funny accent!" " I enjoy speaking to you because of your accent!"This was great, and I stood out amongst millions of people,this would draw people to me,this made me make many friens and acquaintances! Being different in a good way is such a precious thing!

While in and out of America,the intersting thing now is, people back at home say, I have borrowed American accent which pretty much puts me in a very akward position being in the society that I come from,many would say, I am becoming proud, many would wonder how easy it would be for me to have learnt the accent in a such a 'short' time,many would adore hearing me speaking with an American trying to emulate the accent for him/her to understand me,etc and many would just take me as smart to be able to grasp all those words being spoken through the nose,crazy this is,they say I nowadays tweng like Americans do!

I will leave it at that point friends,comments,constructive criticism,corrections are all welcome.The above blog is my own independent and random thoughts expressed on a piece of page on my little blog.
Once again,thanks for being my consistent blog followers!

No comments:

Post a Comment